Phased Array Ultrasonic Inspection
Phased Array (PAUT)
Phased array uses 16 to 128 elements (small transducers in one probe) to create ultrasonic beam fronts that encompass up to 40 different angles into the part under examination. This creates distinct advantages over conventional ultrasonics, by giving the technician more coverage over the area interest. This in turn makes inspections must faster and more efficient. Phased array for weld inspection can also be used in lieu of radiography, and has been accepted by most codes in the industry including, ASME B31.1 Power Piping, ASME B31.3 Process Piping, ASME Section VIII Pressure Vessels, and API 650 Above Ground Storage Tanks.
Some advantages of Phased Array are the following:
• Does not affect plant equipment such as sensors and level indicators
• Faster inspection times
• Ability to size multiple planes
• Better accuracy for flaw location
• Better sensitivity to planar flaws which are more detrimental to the part
• Digital record that is easily accessible with the ability to share data over email or a network
• No barricades or removal of personnel during inspection
• Ability to focus at different depths electronically
Amerapex Corporation has implemented qualification testing that is similar to the API QUTE / QUPA and other end user’s in house qualification tests. Each of our certified Ultrasonic Shear Wave and Phased Array technicians has passed a blind test that includes four test specimens. The technician is asked to find, properly size and characterize at least eight real world flaws when testing. This provides assurance of the highest quality technician that Amerapex Corporation puts on your job site.